Saturday, June 25, 2005

Digitising Begins

James: Gabs and I finally sit down to start editing Peppermint. It is almost a month after the shoot finished, but until now we haven’t had the heart to even face the project. I think we still loathe it and don’t want to touch it.

This frustration boils up over the simplest things. Gab and I disagree on the best way to digitise tapes. We get so little done. I think we are still tired of the whole project.

Gabby: It’s actually understandable. The biggest thing either of us had edited before was about 15 minutes and that was usually documentary. This was entirely different. We hadn’t had the heart to look through the tapes and compare the logging notes to what we thought of the takes, so we couldn’t decide whether to digitise the lot or trust the logging sheets. In retrospect we had such little footage (17 tapes shot in DVCAM so there was only 30-40 minute footage on them), we should have just brought the whole lot in.

Also I hadn’t worked out the best way to divide the media up in the bins. Do you break them all up when capturing or capture in chunks? Looking back I would capture the scenes in chunks and then create sub clips later on. Its less fiddly to line up the tape and is easier to reconnect media if it slips out of place. All this I know now looking back, we certainly didn’t know it then.