Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Editing

James: I can’t remember if this is when we started in earnest or just whether I started to think it was of any significance. We basically broke the script down into ten sections of roughly the same length and then went about editing those segments. It made it feel a bit more bite-size.

Yeah it was so daunting to try and cut together an 80 minute project. Breaking it down made it more psychologically doable.

It is harsh to admit, but I’m really loathing Gab at this point. I feel she edits too slowly and is concerned with nickety little bits and I just want to chuck her off the computer and throw the fucking thing together. This is hideously unfair but this is editing and what it does to my head. I’ve always had this kind of reaction to Gabby. It is 50 – 50. Some days I consider her to be the most talented film-maker I could ever hope to work with, with great social perception and a determination to succeed. Other days I find her the wimpiest, insensitive gob shite I’ve ever met and wish I’d never shown her the script.

Anyhow, the editing wasn’t going well.

Gabby: It’s difficult. How do you if you have the right take until you have fiddle to get the right edit. James is right though. I was being too fiddly. Chuck it down and then revise. Lesson learnt. James is bad tempered at this point and I can’t do anything right. I have a sneaking suspicion that if the roles were reversed and James had this mammoth task of editing this beast he would have had the same problems as I did and I would be equally frustrated at him.