Friday, January 06, 2006

Sound Mix begins

James: Three years ago, when I was a student, I would have relished the opportunity to do the post-production mix on a feature, as it was my speciality! Having had three stressful days collecting sounds this was the last thing I wanted to be doing. However, time has moved on so magnificently technology wise, and what used to take up a dark room at University with a rack mount hard drive now sits neatly in my 12” Powerbook and I dabble on the mix over the next few days quite comfortably.

It isn’t too hard, although patches are a little loosely miked for my liking, but I remember the difficulty of the shoot and would forgive the lads.

Gabby: I have issues with the soundtrack. I don’t think it is real enough. I want more atmos, more noise to give it that real edge. James disagrees, it isn’t done. Another instance where his word goes.

James: We also see Kings School theatre and book it for February 4th. The film has a deadline.

Gabby: Yeah that was nerve racking – looking around that 300 seater, realising that this many people will be watching our film. The only way I can describe the feeling is it like the thought of hanging out your soul for everyone to see and criticise. Gut wrenching.