Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Getting Wildtracks

James: This is a really difficult day, and probably where Gabby and I have the worst argument of the project. Over lunch my building frustration snaps. I complain that I shouldn’t be back in England finishing this film off, and that it should have been done ages ago by her. I’m particularly aggrieved at having to record the wild tracks, which I thought were recorded already. I think in retrospect this outburst at Gab was a bit harsh, but I felt it was necessary in order to accelerate the project towards completion whilst I was around. I was back in my ‘Gab is shit’ mode.

Gabby: Yeah this was a bad argument and we were having it whilst I was at work. I wasn’t happy. James was completely unable to see what my life had been like the past few months and just pounced on my inadequacies. I have my faults, a lot of them, but this time I genuinely couldn’t have done more, there were other things that were more important than a film.

We argue, I get upset, we make up and suddenly the air is clearer than it has been for a long time. We really needed to get that off both of our chests.

James; I want to point out that I’m being candid. The pressure upon the two of us when you consider the scale of the project is hideously large. It becomes increasingly obvious that finishing the edit won’t be the end of Peppermint, there’ll then be screenings and festivals and press kits and websites and all sorts of other shit. This pressure is enormous when you are sat there (with your other stressful job as well) and you think, ‘Christ, we’re gonna have to do all that too’.